Life’s journey is full of many twist, turns and bumpy roads. There is no one in life that will be spared from the rollercoaster ride. I know I have endured more than I could have ever imagined I would during my short time on this Earth. Did you know that there is a way to find directions when you get lost during the journey? Prayer is always a good answer but the specific prayers of the Rosary are the way to get the signs you need in life.
Saint Dominic and Saint Alan were responsible for spreading the message of the Rosary. Saint Dominic was told by Mary,
“Whatever you ask in the Rosary will be granted.”
Saint Alan de la Roche continued with the teaching of the special devotion because while attending Mass, Jesus spoke to him through the Sacred Host saying,
“You are crucifying Me again now because you have all the learning and understanding that you need to preach My Mother’s Rosary, and you are not doing so. If you only did this you could teach many souls the right path and lead them away from sin — but you are not doing it and so you are guilty of all the sins that they commit.”
When Saint Dominic was given the instruction on how to pray the Rosary he was also given Fifteen Promises that shall be obtained if you pray the Rosary daily.
- Whoever shall faithfully serve me by the recitation of the Rosary, shall receive signal graces.
- I promise my special protection and the greatest graces to all those who shall recite the Rosary.
- The Rosary shall be a powerful armor against hell, it will destroy vice, decrease sin, and defeat heresies.
- The Rosary will cause virtue and good works to flourish; it will obtain for souls the abundant mercy of God; it will withdraw the hearts of men from the love of the world and its vanities, and will lift them to the desire for eternal things. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means.
- The soul which recommends itself to me by the recitation of the Rosary, shall not perish.
- Whoever shall recite the Rosary devoutly, applying himself to the consideration of its sacred mysteries shall never be conquered by misfortune. God will not chastise him in His justice, he shall not perish by an unprovided death; if he be just he shall remain in the grace of God, and become worthy of eternal life.
- Whoever shall have a true devotion for the Rosary shall not die without the sacraments of the Church.
- Those who are faithful to recite the Rosary shall have during their life and at their death the light of God and the plenititude of His graces; at the moment of death they shall participate in the merits of the saints in paradise.
- I shall deliver from Purgatory those who have been devoted to the Rosary.
- The faithful children of the Rosary shall merit a high degree of glory in Heaven.
- You shall obtain all you ask of me by the recitation of the Rosary.
- All those who propagate the Holy Rosary shall be aided by me in their necessities.
- I have obtained from my Divine Son that all the advocates of the Rosary shall have for intercessors the entire celestial court during their life and at the hour of death.
- All who recite the Rosary are my sons and daughters, and brothers and sisters of my only Son Jesus Christ.
- Devotion of my Rosary is a great sign of predestination.
I am wanting to renew my dedication to this devotion because I have felt the promises that were given through the Rosary. I have used it in times of great trouble and it saved me. I am sharing this story to show you how powerful the Rosary truly is.
**The following testimony may contain triggers for those who have experienced abuse in relationships. Please know, it is not the intent to trigger anyone; rather, the intent to highlight the power of the Rosary and the intercession of Our Lady on behalf of our writer.**
A decade ago, I was married to an extremely abusive man. I stayed because I felt it was my duty as a wife for a long time. My dad knew something was going on in my marriage but he wasn’t sure what. He gave me a Rosary with the picture of Our Lady of Guadalupe on it. I began to pray the Rosary as an escape from the awful reality I lived. I would cry and beg Mary to help me. I prayed it everyday… sometimes multiple times throughout the day. After a couple weeks of consistently praying the Rosary, I began having a ton of events that occurred in my life that looked like “coincidences”.
I answered a phone call that lead me to find out my husband had lied about his schooling and professional life. A few days later I learned that I didn’t know his true name or several life accomplishments he bragged about often. I had reviewed a phone bill that had we had been charged double (by accident) and became aware of another affair he had started. All these things happened within a month. As you can imagine, I was heartbroken and just lost. I didn’t know what to do. He had been verbally and physically abusive throughout our marriage but realizing I married a stranger was hard to comprehend.
I decided to bring all this to my priest’s attention during Reconciliation. I have admitted before confession is really scary for me and admitting these things within my marriage was extremely embarrassing. I’ll never forget that the priest, Father Dominic, told me that God does not want us to be abused in marriage and he wanted me to be safe. If the abuse was still occurring I had options within the church and I would have help. You would think that would be enough for me to say “Ok, Jessica. Pull yourself together and get you and your two children to safety.” But I just couldn’t. I felt like it would be wrong….
A week later, my husband came home drunk. He was angry and screaming at me as he walked through the door. I was feeding our youngest so I came downstairs hoping to calm him down and not wake up our other son.
I made the wrong decision.
He destroyed everything he could touch. He punched holes in the wall chasing me and I screamed,” Please, I’m holding the baby” repeatedly! It didn’t matter, he caught me. I remember covering my child with my body and feeling the punches. I prayed. I prayed so hard. I prayed that I wouldn’t crush my baby while I tried to protect him. I heard him grab a dining room chair and I held my breath.
To be honest… I’m not sure what happened next or how it happened. The chair he picked up to hit me with had broken somehow. It broke and somehow a large part of it lodged into his arm. He stumbled back and fell. I took my chance and picked up my son and ran. Blood was everywhere. There was so much blood, I wasn’t sure if any of it was mine. I called 911 and sat outside while I heard him screaming my name and stumbling around the house trying to find me. The police arrived and took him to the hospital. But my children and I all survived.
I do not share this for pity. This was an awful time in my life and honestly the next four years I spent trying to legally divorce and enduring the hell on earth my ex created for me as a punishment for leaving him.
I share this to show you that the signs were there. I felt so lost and in my wanderings Mary gave me many signs to tell me which path to take. I should have listened sooner instead of thinking I knew better. I could have been killed that night and I honestly believe Our Lady is the reason that chair never touched me. The chair miraculously breaking gave me the time I needed to get myself and my son to safety. That entire night was a turning point for me. I knew I had to leave.
Me and my boys survived because I had faith God would not abandon me, even though there were times I felt so alone. I believed that we would be safe because I had faith in these fifteen promises of the Rosary. If my story is not enough. Listen to the Saints. They have been blessed with more insight than me and there are several that sing the praises of the Rosary as loudly as they can:
“The Rosary is the ‘weapon’ for these times.” -Saint Padre Pio
“The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you’ll be amazed at the results.” -St. Josemaria Escriva
“The Most Holy Virgin in these last times in which we live has given a new efficacy to the recitation of the Rosary to such an extent that there is no problem, no matter how difficult it is, whether temporal or above all spiritual, in the personal life of each one of us, of our families…that cannot be solved by the Rosary. There is no problem, I tell you, no matter how difficult it is, that we cannot resolve by the prayer of the Holy Rosary.” -Sister Lucia dos Santos of Fatima
I challenge you to have an Epiphany this new year while dedicating yourself to the Rosary. There will be blessings that will light your way as you travel through this journey we call life with the greatest companion, Mary. I am praying for you each to obtain an epiphany from the Rosary. They are truly life changing.